Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Who is a sister?

Over spring break, I was at home talking to one of my younger sisters. She's a junior in high school and starting the college hunt. She already has an idea fer a major, so she's looking at the few schools close by that have that program or who knows, she may just decide to become a Buckeye for her undergrad. I was talking with her about what she wanted in a school, programs, location, and size. She seemed pretty flexible with her preferences saying she could give a little of some to have more of another. However, there was one thing she was sure of. Greek life. She is insisting on being part of a sorority. I never thought I would be in one, I never thought I was "preppy" enough, but she's even less than I am. I was kind of shocked. Had she been living my New Member period through me all of last quarter? Did seeing how important my Delta Zeta sisters mean to me convince her to be a part of something so special?

The whole 20 minutes back to campus with my dad were silent. I just sat there, thinking. Although I only see my sisters a couple times a month, if that, are my experiences away from home still impacting? She is one of my best friends and even though we're not as close when I'm at school, whenever I'm home, we're closer than ever. Our bond continues to grow everyday. While she is growing up and getting ready to move on to the next step in her life, I am growing too. I have learned how important people are. I have discovered the significance of my sisters, whether it be my two at home, or my sorority sisters here at OSU. 

When you have a large group of friends who are not in Greek life, there will be some judging. It makes it difficult to stick with it and not want to go back to how things were before, especially when you're like me and don't deal well with change. Over winter break, my sisters and I would still get on each others nerves. After a few weeks into my new member period, that changed. I started to realize the significance of my sisters and how important sisterhood meant to me; so much more than the judgmental opinions of those who I thought were my friends. Being a sorority sister has helped me to be a better friend to my biological sisters. 

I called my youngest sister, age 12, yesterday as I was walking home from the house. She makes sure to let me know almost everyday how much she misses me. If I don't see one of my DZ sisters for a few days, I'll send them a text saying I miss them, or I'll post on their facebook. Why can't I do the same to the sisters I'm actually related to? They have seen me struggle through so much more. Sure they have not come out on weekends with me or enjoyed late night Cane's trips, but we played with our babydolls together and swung on the swingset in the summertime. They attended almost every gymnastics meet I ever competed in, all of my volleyball, softball and basketball games, and every single one of my long, hot late summer tennis matches. They were there for me through it all. Being away from home doesn't mean I'm moving on to bigger and better things. Well maybe bigger, but they're still the most important. Just because I have more sisters at school,  doesn't mean that my sister's at home are not as special to me. They should be more. They will be more. I make that promise to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment